- Where do I go for my written test in Ontario?When you are ready to take your exam, go to your local DriveTest Centre. No appointment is
but you should arrive at least 1 hour before the test centre closes in order to ensure that you have enough
to complete your test.
- When am I allowed to get my G1 licence in Ontario?The licensing process can begin at age 16.
- Are there any specific documents I should have when I go to take my written test in Ontario?Yes. When you go in to apply for your licence, you are required to have documents that show your:
- Legal Name
- Date of Birth
- Original Signature
These can be documents such as a Passport (Canadian or Foreign), Canadian citizenship card with photo,
Photo card, Employee/Student Authorization Form, or etc.
- How much does a G1 licence cost?The G1 licence package costs $158.25. This includes $15.75 for the knowledge test, $52.50 for the Class G2
Road Test, and $90.00 for the licence which is valid for 5 years.
- How many questions are there on the written test?The written test consists of 2 sections with 20 questions in each section. So, Ontario has a total
40 questions on the written licence exam.
- What’s the number of questions I am allowed to miss on the Ontario G1 test?There are 2 sections to the Ontario G1 test: Road Signs and Rules of the Road. Each section consists of 20
questions. You are only allowed to miss 4 questions from each section.
- What common mistakes do people make on the Ontario written test?Can you guess the biggest mistake people make on their Ontario written test? Here’s a hint: it’s made
the test ever begins….lack of preparation. People fail when they go in without studying the manual and
the practice tests. You can avoid this mistake by preparing yourself.
- Can I use the manual on the actual Ontario written test?No. You are being tested on what you can recall from the manual. This test is all about measuring
ability to remember the rules of the road. Using the manual on the test would be impractical. If you study
prepare yourself, you will do an amazing job without the assistance of the manual.
- Will I be given a drug test before I can get my Ontario licence?You will not have to submit to a drug test in order to get your Ontario licence.
- What happens if I fail the Ontario knowledge test?Failing the knowledge test isn’t the end of the world. It just means you will have to plan to come again
another day for your test.
- How soon can I take the Ontario knowledge test if I fail?You are free to take the knowledge test again whenever you are ready. You may want to use a little extra
to study areas where you missed questions.
- Who can ride in the car with me with a G1 licence?If you only hold a G1 licence, you must have a G licensed driver with at least 4 years of experience
sitting next to you. Besides this person, you may have as many passengers as there are seat belts in the
vehicle with you.
- Who can be in the car with me while holding a G2 licence?For the first 6 months, drivers under 19 cannot carry more than one passenger under the age of 19 between
midnight and 5 am. After the first 6 months, they cannot carry more than 3 passengers under the age of 19
between midnight and 5 am.
- Where am I allowed to drive in Ontario with a G1 licence?You may drive anywhere you like except for on 400 series highways and expressways. You also may not drive
between midnight and 5am. If your accompanying driver is a driving instructor, you may drive on any road.
- What happens after I pass my knowledge test in Ontario?After you pass your knowledge test in Ontario, you will get a licence called a G1 licence. You may begin
using this licence to drive with. You may drive on most roads as long as there is a G licensed driver with
at least 4 years of experience sitting next to you at all times. You may not drive on any 400 series
expressways such as Don Valley Parkway, Queen Elizabeth Expressway and etc. You have to hold your G1 licence
for at least 12 months and should consider enrolling in a driver’s education course. Once your 12 month wait
period is over, you may schedule to have your road test.